The Communications Specialist is responsible for researching, writing, fact checking, editing and proofreading written communications for the Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County. In consultation and collaboration with Brand Marketing & Communications, Development Services and FRD teams, the Communications Specialist supports Federation’s mission by ensuring consistent messaging in direct response marketing and donor stewardship communications, as well as other institutional and program specific communications priorities. This position reports to the Reports to Director, Communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with creative team to maintain and continually reinforce Federation’s messaging, brand and voice.
- Develop compelling and persuasive fundraising appeal copywriting deployed through direct mail, email, telemarketing and various digital channels.
- Write, edit, proofread and serve as internal consultant for program and event materials including event invitations, leadership event remarks, print collateral, outreach communications, and web/digital updates.
- Utilize communications expertise to implement short, succinct, compelling work product that reflects the personality of the organization and leverages impact data, program and partner information, and donor and beneficiary stories.
- Obtain content for writing assignments through consistent interaction with staff and lay leaders as well as agencies, synagogues, and other constituencies, and translate it into clear, brief, and powerful messaging that resonates with target audiences.
- Work closely with the CEO and other senior managers to produce custom acknowledgments, correspondence and other critical major donor communications as needed.
- Work with Multimedia Communications Manager to promote Mosaic, Federation’s magazine-style television show, including advertising, e-News articles and social media posts.
- Work with Sr. Director, Brand Marketing & Communications and Community Campaign Manager to write direct response letters, acknowledgements and correspondence for Mosaic underwriters and guests.
- Adapt messaging across multiple platforms, including print, online and video, as well as advertising copy, email blasts, marketing collateral and social media platforms.
- Support strategic Marketing plans pertaining to public relations, communications, advertising, and social media.
- Interpret projects briefs to understand project requirements and collaborate with designers, project coordinator & other professionals on marketing projects.
- Support the Brand Marketing & Communications team’s commitment to customer service, helping to uphold reputation of Marketing department as a problem solver, strategic thinker and collaborative partner.
- Work with SVP Marketing & Strategic Initiatives and Sr. Director, Brand Marketing & Communications to write communications related to emergency situations, corporate sponsorships and special projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time at the Federation’s discretion. Employment is at-will and this job description is not an employment contract and nothing herein shall be deemed to create in any way whatsoever an employment contract.
Qualifications and Success Factors
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2-4 years writing sales/marketing copy for an advertising agency or marketing agency or working as a copywriter in a dynamic product or service marketing organization.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills; editing and proofreading a must.
- Ability to blend technical writing skills with a familial, conversational tone, voice and personality and to adapt writing style to target audience.
- Ability to thrive in a professional, fast-paced, and team-oriented work environment while comfortable working independently as needed.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and operate effectively in a culture of rapid change.
- Demonstrate ability to think strategically, solve problems, use sound judgement and make decisions and recommendations.
- Creative, passionate and curious thinker.
- Strong organizational skills required.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong knowledge of AP writing-style.
- Functional level of computer knowledge to comfortably adapt to organization’s database and business automation software tools.
- Desire to contribute in a meaningful way to a growing and thriving non-profit business.
- Ability to infuse Jewish culture, values, traditions, and history, particularly relating to Israel, into his/her work.
Note: The Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
To apply online, please email your resume and cover letter to: HRrsvp@jewishpalmbeach.org.
No Calls, Please.